On Wednesday, May 20, Caltrain is holding an important board workshop to discuss key decisions regarding the electric car purchase. Â The discussion will consider important topics:
- how Caltrain will achieve level boarding
- how (or whether?) Caltrain platforms will be compatible with High Speed Rail
- how much space to allocate for bicycles vs. standing room
- how much (if any) space to provide for bathrooms)
The board workshop will be from 9am to Noon at Caltrain HQ at 1250 San Carlos Avenue in San Carlos. The material will be presented again in the evening at the Citizens’ Advisory Committee at Caltrain HQ at 5:40pm.
If you are very interested in this topic, consider making the time to attend the workshop (a difficult time for people with regular work hours). Â If you are interested in the topic and can’t make the board meeting, please come to the CAC meeting in the evening.
At the meeting, hopefully Caltrain will provide new information to help boardmembers – and Caltrain riders -Â evaluate the benefits and drawbacks of the available options:
1) How much peak hour capacity will Caltrain be able to provide under considered scenario for level boarding, as measured in total passengers per hour, standing and sitting.
2) How would level boarding at 50″ with internal stairs affect dwell time (the time the train is stopped at the station letting passengers on and off), which is a substantial component of trip time?
3) How many Caltrain trains and High Speed Trains per hour will be able to serve Transbay, which is expected to become the highest ridership station on the Caltrain line once it is opened
5) How would would platform compatibility affect options for station design at Millbrae and Diridon, with regard to cost and customer ease of use?
Hopefully CaltrainÂ provide the board and ridersÂ with information about the factors that will shape the longterm value Caltrain and the blended systems, to enable well-informed decisions.